Actively hiring during COVID-19
Full Time Remote due to COVID-19 (30-40 hours), great benefits, exempt position, $45,000 annual salary.
I. PROGRAM SUMMARY
The Finance and Administration departments of the Sonoran Institute support the organization by ensuring that the mission and vision of the organization are realized and supported. The departments are responsible for collecting, recording and reporting on all the financial transactions and ensuring organizational compliance with all accounting principles, internal control procedures and funder regulations. Finance and Administration also ensures that Sonoran Institute has the resources and funds to carry out the Institutes mission and vision. In addition, the Human Resources department supports the organization by ensuring personnel policies and procedures are enforced, through benefit and payroll administration, analysis of compensation and personnel grades, recruitment, and enforcement of labor compliance laws.
II. GENERAL ROLE OF POSITION
The Accounting Manager is responsible for maximizing the return on financial assets by establishing policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. This position ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
III. KEY RESPONSIBILITES
Finance & Accounting (60% of time)
- Ensure staff compliance of policies and procedures. Ensure adherence to internal controls to guarantee the integrity of financial information; constantly monitor systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions alongside CFAO.
- Review or prepare journal entries, either special or recurring, for entry to general ledger.
- Audit participation to include preparation of schedules, work closely with CFAO and auditor to ensure audit completion is timely and accurate.
- Responsible for annual registrations, state filings, registered agent changes, annual contract renewals, etc.
- Initiate and account for internal account transfers/wire transfers/ACH; monitor bank activity, posted transactions, on-line payments, and on-line voided checks; notify CFAO to approve/initiate transfers and of any suspicious issues with the accounts.
- Responsible for the correct recording of accounting entries on a daily basis.
- Process Accounts Payable for US operations.
- Process all incoming cash receipts, prepare posting of non-fundraising cash receipts.
- Prepare 1099s at year end.
- Work with Program staff on training and on-going accessibility on budget to actual reports in accounting software.
- Work closely with the Finance and Administration Team located in Mexicali.
- Oversight and partial data entry of all Mexicali transactions in accounting system.
Grants & Contracts – 30% of time
- Responsible for preparation and submission of the financial portion of federal, non-federal, and foundation grants, cooperative agreements, contracts, sub awards, and modifications.
- Assist with preparation of budget for each grant/contract submission.
- Determine and monitor reporting schedules, prepare tracking sheet.
- Enter approved budget into the financial system.
- Ensure award dates are adhered to and monitor any need for extensions.
- Monitor grant expenses to ensure they are within approved budgets, posted to appropriate accounts and incurred within regulatory guidelines.
- Analyze monthly budget expenditure reports and work alongside program staff to review projections.
- Prepare accounting entries to record revenue in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare accurate and timely invoices for funders and financial reports.
- Monitor the time and effort reporting and compare it to what is being charged in the timekeeping system and make any correcting entries.
- Review and reconcile account receivables to ensure timely payments.
- Maintain complete and accurate grant/contract files and ensure compliance with grant/contract requirements.
- Oversee contract procedures and assist program staff in preparing/obtaining a contract and required forms.
- Maintain a current listing of all active vendor contracts.
- Monitor the status of the current vendor contract listing for contracts expiring within the next three months and work with appropriate staff and vendors to either select a new vendor or renew the term of the current contract.
- Prepare a monthly report listing all current vendor contracts, the contract period, and the status of the contract. This report will be forwarded to all staff managing contracts with vendors. This list shall also include a complete listing of all term contracts and their expiration dates.
- Forward all contracts requiring signature to the Chief Finance & Administrative Officer for review.
- Forward fully executed contract to the contractor and maintain a copy for Sonoran Institute files.
Other – 10% of time
- Assist in evaluating and advising on financial aspects of policies and decisions affecting the entire organization
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
- Assist in special projects as needed (i.e. software upgrades, streamline of procedures, systems upgrade, etc.).
- Strengthen internal financial management and coordination between programs and finance.
Training, Development and Leadership
- Responsible for financial training of new staff of the organizations forms and procedures.
- Ensure staff receives timely and appropriate training and development.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement and learning and collaboration.