Remote Software Engineer
CareMessage is the largest patient engagement platform for underserved populations in the United States. We want to help create a world where all people regardless of income or background achieve equitable health outcomes. We power the care for more than 7 million underserved patients at over 300 safety net organizations nationwide who receive timely healthcare information, preventive care reminders, appointment reminders, local resources, and health coaching through interactive voice and text messaging. Founded in 2012 at Stanford University, CareMessage has raised over $25 million from Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, Y Combinator, Schmidt Futures, and others.
2021 Team Impact
Since the start of COVID-19, our team has faced a number of new challenges due to 10x growth in messaging as well as changing customer needs to help support COVID testing, COVID vaccinations, and fulfilling immediate needs for patients tied to food insecurity, housing, etc. As a part of the 2021 CareMessage team, you can play a key role in helping tackle COVID at a national scale for our most vulnerable patient populations.
Watch a quick video about our work: vimeo.com/114095688
Read a success story from a customer: www.dallasnews.com/business/health-care/2016/08/29/words-to-live-by-baylor-scott-and-white-to-text-high-risk-patients/
Check out our team culture on our Careers Page: www.caremessage.org/careers and our Team Blog: blog.caremessage.org/
Who we are looking for…
Are you someone who wants to do more than just code? What if the lines of Ruby or React you create could power messaging to millions of underserved patients across the United States? The CareMessage team is looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited about creating a world where all people, regardless of income or background, achieve equitable health outcomes. In this position, you will play a key role in building and maintaining our web application. Your core responsibility will be to take substantial features from concept to delivery utilizing Ruby on Rails along with Angular and/or React. Sample projects may include: helping improve our API to support our healthcare integrations, improving customer analytics to help them understand patient messaging trends, or optimizing the user experience to promote patient messaging strategies. It all depends on the most pressing problems our customers have!
Before we jump into the details of the role, we want to share some information about our process. We are accepting applications until April 16, 2021, at 7 pm US-Central Time. You will hear back from us by April 30, 2021. If we decide to move forward, we will share a case study activity with you that will allow us to know more about how we can work together. We do not use white-boarding exercises, algorithm questions, or any code submission to evaluate candidates. After the case study, we will conduct a series of panel interviews with different members of our team to dive deeper into different aspects of the role. We hope to make a decision and provide an offer by May 2021.
Within 1 month you’ll…
- Understand and follow the Engineering Team development’s agile process
- Learn and follow CareMessage’s coding standards
- Complete a demo of our features and have a working familiarity with their functionality
Within 3 months you’ll…
- Learn the CareMessage product development process and departmental policies and procedures
- Understand the architectural design of projects owned by your team
- Be self-sufficient in completing your tasks and start contributing to your agile team’s commitments
Within 6 months you’ll…
- Participate in the technical design of features
- Be able to provide on-call support for your area including systems you are not familiar with
- Begin to focus on attaining expertise in one or more areas that drive value and impact within our engineering team (e.g., performance best practices, efficient use of data stores, etc.)
- Build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable application code
- Ensure the highest possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Collaborate with Engineering, QA, and Product to ensure we provide a high-quality user experience for clinic staff across our apps and ensure our product scales as our user base grows
- You have 3+ years of professional working experience with Ruby on Rails
- You have 2+ years of experience with either Angular, React, or a similar frontend technology
- You have previous experience working remotely
- You have a proven commitment to building and fostering diversity and inclusion within the teams you have worked with
Flexible work hours as a fully remote team
Generous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts
401k retirement plan
Paid parental leave
13 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
Paid time off & 1-month paid sabbatical after 4-year anniversary
15 paid company holidays, including a winter break
Employee Assistance Program
Budget for professional and personal development (webinars, online courses, books, and more)
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!