Frictionless onboarding for software engineering teams.
Hello! Thank you so much for considering this role at Edify. We are excited to be on this journey with you.
Edify is growing and we need amazing folks like yourself. We’re an early stage software startup with six years of validated methodology behind us. Edify is seeking a Chief Technical Officer to lead technology and engineering at Edify.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for planning and building scalable software applications across platforms like Slack, Microsoft Teams, and others (you may even help us build our own API!) You’ll be responsible for working with Edify’s Product Director to continue building on our existing application and more. You will also be a close partner to Edify’s CEO to take an enterprise-wide, architectural view of the solutions and the technical execution of our product roadmap.
Edify is a fast-paced, high performance culture – we went from zero code to paying customers in four months, raised our seed round in a month, and have exciting (but intense!) plans for the next 18 months and beyond. We need a hungry, performance-oriented technical leader to help take Edify to the next level.
Duties & Responsibilities
Define and implement the technical strategy at Edify
- Define the architecture and lead the technical decision making ensuring high quality code, resiliency, availability, maintainability, security best practices, and an eye toward scalability
- Be responsible for controlling the cost of development at Edify and be committed to velocity: be hungry to execute!
- Anticipate and manage the tradeoffs around complexity, maintenance, and infrastructure
- Advocate for technology best practices as part of the overall business strategy
- Align and provide feedback on the product roadmap, work closely with the Product Organization to decide on prioritization, resource allocation, and timelines
Lead and grow the the Engineering Organization at Edify
- Build a brilliant “two pizza” team: lead hiring and recruiting for the Engineering Organization at Edify
- Champion Edify both internally and externally with investors, and at occasional external events, and take part in professional development, conferences, and thought leadership events
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and coaching to engineering team members
Own the development process and methodology
- Be willing to embrace the volatility of startup life, be it quick code pushes, fixes to support customers, or testing to try out something new
- Balance comfort with stepping in to write code, troubleshoot, and make technical changes with strategic planning conversations
- Assign tasks, supervise development, perform software health checks and generally ensure high quality code practices
- Monitor and define criteria for the management of all hardware, software, databases, licenses, maintenance routines and scoping for future needs
- Keep an eye on technology trends and be a champion tools and processes for improvement
Facilitate collaboration and communication across the organization
- Work closely with product and business leadership to develop and track implementation plans, identify and resolve roadblocks, and assess new ideas and information
- Team with Sales and Customer Success to understand customer needs and marketability of the product
- Identify and promote excellence within the organization
Excellent candidates will have
- 5+ years leading engineering teams, including establishing and enforcing engineering best practices for code quality and delivery
- Experience launching technology in a startup environment, preferably cutting-edge enterprise SaaS products to the market
- Experience leading Agile/Lean software development teams, successfully implementing products and features with a predictable, high-velocity, and accountable process and culture
- Strong understanding of data science and machine learning concepts in a professional setting, including deploying models in production environments
- Have a proven understanding of best engineering practices for the full software development life cycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code review, source control, build, test, deploy, and operations
- The ability to explain technical concepts to non-engineering audiences both internally and externally
- A passion for building tools for other software engineers
- Comfort with a fully distributed, remote-first work environment
- Comfort using (or learning to use) Slack, email, Google Apps, Notion, Zoom, and Loom video
- Experience as a full stack developer, including recent code work; comfortable working with the following technologies/processes:
- DynamoDB and FlowXo
- Java, Typescript, NodeJS, and NestJS
- GitHub and AWS
- Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and AI Frameworks
- Building complex decision trees and chat bots
- Use test driven design principles
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA and other federal, state and local standards
- Sedentary work that involves sitting or remaining stationary most of the time
- Ability to conduct repetitive tasks on a computer, utilizing a mouse, keyboard and monitor
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with significant equity, based on experience.
- Work-From-Home stipend, which can cover internet and other home office needs (we’re a fully remote company!)
Edify is committed to growing an equitable, inclusive company, so we make sure that:
- You’re able to take the leave you need to. We have an untracked PTO policy, and most people take a day off a month plus 4 weeks per year or so. We acknowledge major holidays, your birthday, and more – plus we close for the last week of the year.
- We respect your mental and physical health and only ask that you give us a heads up about what you need.
- We want you to be engaged in your community, so we encourage space and time for volunteering, user groups, and more.
- Our team building activities are welcoming, compassionate, and inclusive.
- No one apologizes for family – kids, parents, pets – anyone! Edify welcomes kiddos on video calls, we understand care needs, and we want you to feel safe and able to work the way you need to work.
- We want to learn from you, so we welcome constructive critique!
- We want you to grow with us, so we will work with you to do our best to match your career goals to Edify’s trajectory.
- Your voice should be heard, so we’ll always make space for you, from setting OKR’s to contributing to our marketing plan.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please read More About Edify and apply through the link in that page.
Thank you for considering this role with Edify! We’re honored that you believe in our vision and that you want to pursue this process with us. We look forward to talking with you.
Whether or not we end up working together, the Edify team wants this to be an enjoyable, educational experience for you. If you have questions along the way, please reach out to [email protected]
EdifyOS, Inc. (Edify) does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
About EdifyEdify is the frictionless way to onboard software engineers. Our intelligent, conversational agent allows engineering managers to create customized onboarding plans in record time. Those onboarding plans help new hires ramp up quickly, get comfortable in their new roles, and feel confident on Day 1 and productive within their first 30 days. Edify's vision is to be the operating system for high performing engineering teams – if you believe in a future where all software engineers, from junior to senior, are welcomed and allowed to be their best, we want you at Edify!Learn more about our product and see us on Product Hunt!
To apply for this job please visit www.notion.so.