Reports to:Editorial Director
Location:Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking an Editorial Associate to join our team. The Editorial Associate will assist the communications team with drafting and editing a wide range of public-facing materials related to furthering gun safety, including blog posts, development emails, press releases, memos, and reports.
This is a full-time position based in either our Washington DC or San Francisco, CA office. This position requires occasional evening and weekend work. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is of utmost importance, all Giffords staff members are working remotely until it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Due to high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + Responsibilities
- Assist with copy editing and proofreading responsibilities, ensuring clear, effective languageand adherence to our editorial style guide in all public-facing communication
- Draft blog posts, web copy, and other written material that communicate the urgency of our mission to build a safer America and tell the stories of that fight
- Provide support to the digital team by helping draft and edit social posts
- Work in conjunction with the development and design teams to draft stewardship and fundraising emails for the Giffords Law Center distribution list
- Strategize about unexplored platforms and types of content that could help our research and policy materials reach new audiences
- Evaluate SEO and pageview metrics and use them to inform future content
- Continuously assess the landscape of similar issue advocacy organizations and make suggestions for improving our written output
- Other duties as assigned
Required knowledge, skills + experience
- One to three years of writing, editing, or communications experience
- Proven writing and editing ability
- Interest in gun safety and gun violence prevention
- Understanding of voice and tone, and ability to modulate these based on differing audiences
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and self-reliance
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to help other team members, including by taking on assignments that might be considered outside the job description
- Curiosity and an eagerness to learn new skills
Valued non-essential knowledge, skills + experience
- Experience with WordPress and Adobe Design suite
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position begins at $45,000 with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include employer funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of PTO annually; and paid holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit giffords.applytojob.com.