About Family Engagement Lab
Family Engagement Lab is a national nonprofit that catalyzes equitable family engagement and student learning by bridging classroom curriculum and at-home learning. Its work builds partnerships between teachers and historically underserved families by facilitating ongoing communication and collaboration about learning. Its signature tool, FASTalk, shares engaging, at-home learning activities via text messages in each family’s home language. FASTalk significantly increases equity in academic achievement, helping students the furthest behind catch up to their peers. Family Engagement Lab is experiencing rapid growth through partnerships with districts such as Oakland Unified School District as well as collaborations with leading education organizations such as the Louisiana Department of Education. The nonprofit’s efforts bring together a commitment to educational equity, research, technology, and practical experience in pre-K-12 systems. Learn more at www.familyengagementlab.org.
Family Engagement Lab is looking for a full-time experienced editorial leader who will own, strategize, and oversee the development and implementation of our FASTalk content assets, helping maintain FASTalk’s strategic differentiation as a catalyst of teacher-family partnership in support of student learning. You will ramp up quickly to be responsible for overseeing the strategy, management, and processes for all product content.
This is a full time role that mixes strategy; editing; writing (in a distinctive, family-friendly voice); creativity; research; knowledge of cognitive and non-cognitive skill development; content development in multiple languages; project management; and team management (supervising a team of writers and translators and liaising with school contacts). All of the content must be created through a lens of increasing equity in family engagement.
The Managing Editor reports to the Chief Operating Officer and works in close collaboration with the Chief Impact Officer to guide the content strategy. The Managing Editor also works closely with other team members across the organization, including research, customer success, product, and sales.
- Content strategy – Devise a content strategy in partnership with the Chief Impact Officer that enables the organization to meet our growth, impact, and operational goals.
- Content creation – Ensure that the content supports an exceptional experience for teachers and families and boosts student learning. Lead the content creation so that the content: is accessible and actionable for families of PK-8th grade students; reflects instructional and grade-level priorities; is culturally relevant and responsive to a range of literacy levels; is consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone of voice; is optimized for search and user experience; translates appropriately into 100+ languages.
- Editor and proofreader – Impeccable grammar and style. Keen eye for catching typos and grammatical errors.
- Content writer – Enthusiasm for diving in and writing FASTalk content under tight deadlines.
- Content operations and workflow processes – Develop standards, systems and best practices (both human and technological) for content creation, editing, translating, deployment, maintenance, retrieval and repurposing. Continuously improve workflow processes. Work with technical team to support the ongoing use of a content management system (CMS).
- Project management – Create a content production calendar and manage day-to-day content production.
- Supervision of Content Manager, 2-4 freelance writers, and 5-10 translators – Manage internal and freelance authors. Guide them to do their best work and provide constructive feedback to improve. Oversee Content Manager who works directly with translators.
- Data-driven decision making – Conduct ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness, making data-based recommendations and revising content as needed.
- 4-6 years of experience overseeing, managing, and editing content or curriculum for PK-12 educational materials or edtech programs.
- Significant knowledge and experience with ELA and/or math instruction (PK-8), including high-quality curricula, standards, and instructional materials, as well as social and emotional learning resources.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, including writing for different lexile levels, editing, and proofreading. Typos and grammatical errors do not get past you.
- Experience with, and a commitment to, creating culturally responsive content that reaches and resonates with culturally and linguistically diverse families.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully translating complex ideas into actionable advice for families.
- Strong leadership skills with experience successfully managing a diverse team.
- A passion or interest in family engagement in education.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to supporting equity and inclusion.
- Creative problem solver, able to identify real obstacles and viable solutions.
- Detail oriented and deadline driven work ethic.
- Ability to thrive in a goal-oriented, collaborative, and entrepreneurial environment, including the ability to be flexible in project execution, comfort with ambiguity, and the ability to gain clarity in the midst of some unknowns.
- Demonstrated track record of effectively collaborating with teams across geographic locations.
- Experience with content management tools a plus.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Location: Remote. Requires regular communication by phone and video conferencing across the continental US. May include occasional post-pandemic travel for team meetings.
Start date: July 7, 2021
Salary range: $85,000-$100,000
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter and resume on the Family Engagement Lab website.
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!