Hello, Ruby on Rails + React Developers!
Here’s the deal: Before our clients hire us, they’ve often already invested a lot of time, energy, and money into having custom web applications developed to help them solve some business challenges. They come to us looking for a team to provide dependable support and maintenance of their existing Ruby on Rails (and a handful of React) projects. We do this in the form of recurring retainers where we take care of small feature updates, bug fixes, performance improvements, chipping away at their technical debt, and helping them experiment as they navigate forward as a business.
What we rarely do? Spin up brand new web applications for them. We learned years ago that there is rarely a long-term client relationship with startups, so we stopped competing on those projects.
The tradeoff? We get to build lasting partnerships with our clients and have some influence on how they’re planning for the life of their web applications.
So, if you’re the type of developer that really enjoys shiny new things and/or pitching entire app rewrites, this probably isn’t the position for you.
If you’re the type of developer that enjoys jumping into the deep end of complex projects, helping iterate and improve software, taking responsibility, and being given opportunities to help lead projects, we should talk.
Our Core Values
PROACTIVE – We actively seek opportunities to improve our clients products, our processes, and our abilities.
CURIOUS – A natural curiosity for the undiscovered results in remarkable work for our clients and stronger connections for our team. We ask questions, learn, and aren’t afraid to fail.
DEPENDABLE – We are invested in our work. We manage expectations. We support our clients and teammates. We hold ourselves, our teammates, and our clients accountable.
VERSATILE – We readily adapt to change and encourage innovation because our team and work are transparent and flexible.
DELIGHTFUL – We choose to set a mindful, positive tone that allows everyone to flourish.
We are a small team and wear many hats. In addition to the list of responsibilities below we also expect all of our team members to participate in our marketing efforts, whether thats you writing blog posts, offering to speak at a conference, or coming up with ideas for new initiatives.
What you’ll typically be focused on…
- Participating in short daily stand-ups to outline what you completed yesterday and are aiming to accomplish today
- Jumping between 2 – 5 client projects/week (sometimes a few each day)
- Keeping an eye out for your teammates by lending them a hand in tackling a challenge
- Wrapping your head around a subset of our client projects and their business goals
- Partnering up with your project manager to figure out how to best prioritize your work for the coming week
- Collaborating with your team members in all parts of a project, from planning, to estimating, to coding, testing, and bug fixing
- Documenting the tricks and lessons you learn to share with the dev community on our blog
- Asking clients for clarification on requirements that you aren’t sure you understand
- Being an advocate for the long-term health and maintainability of our client’s projects
- Saying, ”I don’t know yet, but I’ll help figure it out!”
- Improving the overall test coverage of our client projects
- Performing code reviews on your teammate’s pull-requests
- Googling weird error messages
- Sharing praise when someone on the team does something amazing
- Occasionally helping out with DevOps/sysadmin tasks
- Sending your code for peer review
- Stumbling across possible fixes in API docs, Stack Overflow, and Github issues
- Taking advantage of our flextime scheduling to swing by the gym, go for a run before the rain starts, or sitting in the park with a book
- Rolling your eyes as you look at that code that wasn’t working and realizing the silly typo
- Capturing your ”lesson learned” to share with the team on Monday morning
- Communicating directly with clients to help define features, user stories, improvements to existing applications
- Writing, refactoring, and improving our client’s web applications and APIs (we have a few internal projects, too)
- Sending clients a link to a staging environment so they can test out your changes before you deploy to production
- Deploying code to staging or production environments
- Tracking time for our client work so that we can pay our bills
- Appreciating when your teammates share their failures with you
- Sitting down with interns or junior developers to hone your mentoring skills
- Removing noise in the README files that we probably should have cleaned up a while ago
- Thanking clients when they provide great requirements that helps you understand a task
- Sharing your hard lessons and failures with your peers
- Noticing inefficiencies in our existing processes and taking note to raise it at our next team meeting
- Adding useful information to the README files that will help your teammates
- Carving out a little time each week to try out some new tools
- Sharing useful links with your peers in Slack
- Preparing a 5-to-10-minute talk on how to use said new tool for our next company workshop series
- Helping us become a better version of ourselves than we were yesterday
- 3+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- 1 year experience with React
- Ability to convey your thoughts and ideas verbally and in emails, JIRA tickets, and Slack messages with a delightful and competent tone
- Experience collaborating with clients, stakeholders, and decision-makers. Bonus points if you can read their minds
- Some general concepts of how SQL databases work and how to navigate them
- Comfortable with an Apple Mac environment (maybe you even like to dabble with Linux?)
- Know more than enough Git to be dangerous
- Experience writing automated tests for Ruby on Rails apps
- Using Capistrano, Git, etc to handle Rails deployments
- Knowledge of HTML and understanding of CSS/Sass
- Knowledge of software design patterns and experience with implementation
NOTE: Planet Argon staff are working safely from their homes for the time being, and remote candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. This is a full-time position, so responses from freelancers, design studios, or recruiters offering their services will be ignored.
- Medical & dental insurance (PLANET ARGON pays 80% of premium);
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% of employee salary match;
- Paid vacation that increases with your length of employment; (15 days accrued the first year, 20 days after the first year, and 25 days after three years)
- Five days of sick time each calendar year;
- Six paid holidays yearly;
- Periodic bonuses dependent upon company and employee performance;
- Participation in our flexible work time policies.
- Creative, dog-friendly, relaxed-professional work environment
We will perform background checks and request professional references from finalist candidates.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.