Position: Senior Staff Accountant, Fund Services
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Full time
Location: Remote or San Diego, CA
About Mission Driven Finance
Mission Driven Finance is an impact investment firm dedicated to building a financial system that ensures good businesses have access to sufficient, affordable capital. Built from the ground up with a single purpose—to make it easy to invest in your community—all our funds, products, and services are designed to close financial gaps in order to close opportunity gaps.
The financial systems, structures, and policies in America have both intentionally and unintentionally restricted access to capital and opportunity. The result is significant wealth inequality that hinders social mobility, dampens economic growth, and fosters conditions for political instability.
We are looking for a senior accountant who can help us change that.
We work with local and national investors to help them create the impact they want, and work with businesses and community partners to help them get the capital they need. We are entirely focused on private market impact transactions and asset management. Our experienced, diverse team is 63% women, 44% people of color, and 38% first- or second-generation New Americans. Mission Driven Finance was launched in 2016 in San Diego, CA and is a Certified B Corporation.
Who we are looking for
We are expanding our accounting and operations team with our first senior accountant. As a key member of this team, your primary role is to ensure our accounting systems are up to date, with a particular focus on our loan portfolios in multiple investment funds.
Additionally, you will help our borrower services, investor relations, and management to have reliable financial information to support decision-making and a quality customer experience.
You consider yourself an accounting generalist, and are equally comfortable recording business income and expenses as you are tracking loan portfolio activity across multiple entities. You are very comfortable with a wide variety of software and technology tools, and your Excel skills are ranked as “wizard.” You believe pennies count. You love a good process, and yet always look for ways it can be improved. A clean bank rec gives you an overwhelming sense of joy.
You will work primarily with our chief financial officer (your supervisor) and our fund operations associate. However, we follow a fairly holacratic model, so you will report to everybody and everybody will report to you. As a small and growing enterprise, we are looking for exceptional people that will continually expand their role in our company and our community.
We believe in strength through diversity and expect all of our team to bring their lived experiences to our work. Everything we do comes from a community-first perspective and everybody on our team is values-driven in both work and life.
As a key member of the financial management team, you will be responsible for providing financial and administrative services including but not limited to invoice processing, loan payment monitoring and reconciliation, account analyses, ad hoc reporting, and supporting our fund administrator with the production of financial reports.
- Perform daily accounting processes including journal entries, account reconciliations, and general ledger transactions in order to maintain accurate financial information in QuickBooks accounting system for multiple investment fund entities (that are primarily debt funds) and general partner entities.
- Review, process, and pay, via check or wire, vendor invoices, and employee expense reports ensuring documentation and approvals are received and that transactions have been coded and accounted for properly.
- Prepare invoices for portfolio company fees, reimbursable expenses, and consulting fee engagements, manage status of the invoices, record related cash receipts and handle any inquiries.
- Assist in the month-end close process, including bank and other account reconciliations and preparation of financial statements and other management reports.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Maintain vendor records in electronic form, including all data required for 1099 reporting.
- Work closely with the firm’s external fund administrator in support of quarterly financial statements and investor reporting.
- Work closely with the firm’s external auditors and tax preparers in support of the annual balance sheet review and tax return preparation.
- Assist the other finance team members in the performance of their respective responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired values, qualification & skills
An ideal candidate will value:
- Our mission to build a better financial system
- Developing solutions from a team perspective
- Ability to execute semi-independently
- Commitment to quality balanced with efficiency
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and resilience
And have a background and skills that include:
- 3–5 years of experience in relevant roles
- CPA preferred
- Strong attention to detail with an eye to continuous process improvement
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Adaptability and responsiveness in an evolving startup environment with competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong comfort with technology tools, including QuickBooks online, spreadsheets, MS Office, Google Workspace, project management systems (Asana), and communication systems (Slack)
Preference for candidates that also have one or more of:
- Experience working in the impact investment industry
- Fluency in another language beyond English
- Understanding of nonprofit organizations and small businesses
- Understanding of lending and financing
- Understanding of real estate transactions
- Lived experience in our target investment communities, such as BIPOC, New American, veteran, and other overlooked and underestimated communities
Work environment and physical demands
We are headquartered in San Diego, CA, and encourage a flexible work environment. For this position, we are open to potential candidates in the San Diego region or to be a permanent remote employee. Local employees will be expected to join us on a regular basis in our office in Old Town, post-COVID, as currently the entire team is working remotely. Remote employees will be expected to visit in person up to once per quarter. Our team is very fun and extremely humble 🙂
This is a full-time role with an annual salary range of $58,000–$65,000 per year. A part-time option may be considered for the right candidate. This position includes company standard benefits: Generous time off plan, flexible work schedule and environment, 401k retirement plan with employer match, access to health/dental/vision plan, and participation in company incentive program(s).
Equal opportunity employer
Mission Driven Finance is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, veteran status, or gender identity to apply for this position. We welcome smart people with non-linear/non-traditional experience and educational backgrounds to join our team. Should a candidate be offered the position, they will need to show documentation of the ability to work in the U.S. including completing an I-9. We are unable to offer work visas at this time.
If you think you can help us build a better world, we encourage you to send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by April 30, 2021.
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!