“Working at Mission Minded you can expect to work with a group of creative, caring individuals who will push you to not only do great work, but also be a more strategic, compassionate thinker in the process.”
—2 year Mission Minded employee
Mission Minded, a branding firm that works exclusively with nonprofits, foundations and independent schools, seeks a WordPress Developer to work with us on a project-by-project basis with some outstanding nonprofits. This is not a full-time position and is ideal for someone with an existing or newly created freelance practice.
As in all good strategy development, we are constantly pushing ourselves and our clients to think bigger, broader, deeper. We like to challenge assumptions. We like to look at problems from multiple angles to find the best solution for a nonprofit. So being someone who is comfortable with collaboration, input, and iterative thinking is key.
From project to project, you will interact with digital strategists, brand strategists, designers, and developers to ensure all client recommendations are fully, and successfully, implemented and evaluated.
We’re a small company, and we genuinely value and respect one another. Since all of us are based in home offices, we welcome the chance to see each other non-digitally.
Because we’ve been around for over 15 years, we’ve developed a very strong reputation in the nonprofit community. Much of our business comes through referrals from previous clients. We’re proud of that. So we set high standards for our work. And we’re very, very committed to the idea of excellent customer service. This means all recommendations are based on sound strategy. Well written. Delivered with clarity. On time. Typo free.
Although Mission Minded is a for-profit company, our clients are working with limited budgets and often within constrained resources; Mission Minded project compensation reflects that reality.
You should contact us about this opportunity if you are a self-starter, able to work both collaboratively and independently, a great communicator, possess nearly maniacal attention to detail, and have experience in and/or a demonstrated commitment to the nonprofit sector.
This is a contract-based position. You will be expected to work from your own office. But we promise you won’t feel alone! We are a highly communicative team – phone, email, Slack, and Zoom keep us connected throughout the day. You use your own office technology, including an Apple computer, software, and phone.
· Use HTML, CSS, PHP, and JS to create user-friendly web pages
· Create custom (from-scratch) WordPress themes
· Collaborate with lead strategist to define site architecture and functionality based on brand strategy and project scope
· Collaborate with lead designer on user experience and interactivity
· Help improve and maintain existing client sites
· Own your projects as a lead developer, and collaborate with the team. (We are looking for someone who can lead the development process on their own, though you won’t be alone, you’ll have teammates available for help and collaboration).
· Coordinate QA with internal and external QA partners.
· Train clients on the WordPress admin backend and create documentation for custom parts of the build.
· 5+ years of progressive responsibility in website development
· Experience building from scratch custom WordPress themes without a page builder or mega-theme. (We build using custom blocks and Advanced Custom Fields).
· Demonstrated Front-end development experience
· Strong familiarity with cross-browser testing and debugging
· Strong understanding of the entire web development process (strategy, site architecture, design, development, and deployment)
· Knowledge of SEO, performance, and accessibility best practices
· API integration experience (CRMs, email marketing services, etc.)
· Impeccable attention to detail and deadlines, strong ability to prioritize
· Strong written and verbal communication skills for both internal and external audiences
· Willingness to learn and effectively represent the company culture
· Sense of humor (we think that’s important in a customer service-based business)
· Experience with InVision, Sketch, and Adobe Creative Suite
· Experience and/or strong interest in content strategy and organization
· Experience in integrating WordPress with APIs: Salesforce, Google Maps, etc.
· Specific experience with tools used in the non-profit sector: Blackbaud, Salsalabs, etc.
· Web Design (UX/UI) experience
· WordPress plugin development experience
If this sounds like you , we welcome your cover letter/email and resume and online portfolio. Please send it to Candace Payne, Business Operations Manager, at [email protected]. With the subject line WordPress Developer. Please include an honest answer to this question: What about Mission Minded makes you excited to join the team and develop websites for nonprofit clients?
Cover letters present a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know you better. Therefore, please be sure to send BOTH your resume and cover letter (as requested above). Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please—we promise to respond via email.