NextRequest is growing! We’re looking for someone who can help us continue to build a more efficient and transparent public records process. Every day we work to create an application that is fast, intuitive, and a delight to use. We believe that writing clean, efficient, and well-tested code is critical to creating a great experience for our customers. We are looking for kind people that are excited about building tools to make government information accessible and meaningful.
Your day-to-day work will be focused on writing code within our Ruby on Rails application. You will collaborate with teammates to release features, make architecture decisions, and help chart our technical course forward. You will be a key part of implementing product designs and ensuring that we deliver high-quality code. As we continue to grow you will have the opportunity to branch out into front-end development, DevOps, and machine learning.
What you will do:
- Build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Lead the design of portions of the application architecture
- Own projects focused on major feature development
- Collaborate with Product and Design teams to develop features from conception to implementation
- Participate in peer code review
- Communicate software needs across teams
- Track down and fix bugs
- Mentor Junior Engineers
You’d be a good fit if you have:
- 5+ years of experience writing Ruby code
- 3+ years of experience building and releasing production web applications
- Experience using test-driven development
- Experience building parallel/background processes in Rails
- Enjoy a highly collaborative environment
Great written and verbal communication skills
Extra points if you have:
- Experience with DevOps
- Experience using AWS, Terraform, and Docker
- Exposure to machine learning or natural language processing
- Previous experience with or interest in mentoring colleagues
- Worked for or with local governments
Who we are:
NextRequest makes public records requests friendlier for the public and easier for governments. We are motivated by civic transparency and government ingenuity. Our mission is to revolutionize records requests through technology, trust, and community.
Over the past 6 years, our team has built an amazing product that allows governments to be both more transparent and efficient while serving their communities. NextRequest works with nearly 200 customers across the U.S. ranging from the largest cities to small towns, police departments, counties, state agencies, educational institutions, and special districts. The agencies of all types and sizes use NextRequest to accept, coordinate, and fulfill record requests all in one place. The company’s public records software works cross-departmentally to streamline requests so that no request goes unanswered. NextRequest protects the flow of the agency’s sensitive information with best-in-class security, compliance, and data protection for its customers including mapping to CJIS & HIPAA Security Rule controls and a SOC 2 security audit.
What we offer you:
- Mission-driven work that has a tangible positive impact
- Three weeks of PTO plus federal holidays
- Health care (medical, dental, and vision) benefits for you and your dependents
- Health Savings Account (if applicable with health insurance)
- Equity in the company
- Professional development stipend
- Ergonomic and home office stipend
- Flexible work hours (upon mutual agreement) that allow you to schedule around personal commitments
- Opportunities to socialize with your colleagues that don’t center on alcohol (team-activities, game nights, etc); if a company event is outside of normal work hours, we’ll cover childcare costs
- A workplace that values communication, mutual respect, and work-life balance
- Ability to live anywhere in the U.S. This is a fully remote position
We are committed to a workplace that reflects our community. We especially encourage applicants who are underrepresented in the tech industry, including women, people of color, and LGBTQIA candidates.
Compensation: $100,000-$140,000 + equity + benefits
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!