Owlchemy Labs is an XR studio with a passion for polished, playful VR games and experiences.
Founded in 2010 and based out of Austin, TX, we believe that natural, spatial interactions make virtual reality the ultimate destination for new forms of gameplay and immersion. We love building experiences for everyone: oozing with style, absurdly funny, and with ground-breaking accessibility to bring more joy to more people.
Acquired by Google in 2017, Owlchemy continues to share its pioneering experiments and VR best practices through blog posts, white papers, and talks around the globe to improve VR for Everyone.
Looking to spread your wings?
Join our Google-owned, Austin-based game studio and help us make absurd and highly polished VR for Everyone!
We offer an outstanding fully remote working environment focused on collaboration and personal growth, with a positive work/life balance and excellent benefits.
Owls in this remote position use a mix of technical, design, and artistic skills to explore, prototype, and develop polished and performant features and systems for games.
- Prototype gameplay and systems, integrating stakeholder feedback and playtesting to continuously improving and iterating the work product
- Design and iterate on virtual spaces, understanding how layout of interactive areas and arrangement of props affect player experience in VR
- Provide design leadership and coach other owls in design and prototyping best practices
- Take ownership of projects and core features involving multi-discipline teams, including accurate estimates
- Be an approver of large systems or core features
- Provide high level direction on projects, features, or complex systems
- Write as needed to flesh out prototypes and features, including character development, brevity and humor, and functional accessibility
- Follow development processes and best practices
- Work with production to provide estimates and updates on progress and identify potential setbacks
- Collaborate with owls like QA, Art, Audio, Design, and Writing to meet task goals and determine code and art requirements
- Deep understanding of gamefeel, affordances, and feedback
- Ability to quickly turn ideas into reality, at minimum level of effort to evaluate them
- Ability to see dependencies, cascading affordances, and systems-level ramifications of features
- Ability to integrate feedback, throw ideas away, and be flexible with multiple iterations
- Have a holistic view of how their work fits into the bigger picture
- Capable of managing other Owls or Contractors
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 3-5 years Unity programming experience, or multiple shipped projects
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Developing games solo or near-solo
- History of experimentation with different tech / tools
- Rapid prototyping environment experience
- 5-7 years Unity programming experience with multiple shipped projects
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” – and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a growing team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 15 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!