Owlchemy Labs is an XR studio with a passion for polished, playful VR games and experiences.
Founded in 2010 and based out of Austin, TX, we believe that natural, spatial interactions make virtual reality the ultimate destination for new forms of gameplay and immersion. We love building experiences for everyone: oozing with style, absurdly funny, and with ground-breaking accessibility to bring more joy to more people.
Acquired by Google in 2017, Owlchemy continues to share its pioneering experiments and VR best practices through blog posts, white papers, and talks around the globe to improve VR for Everyone.
Looking to spread your wings?
Join our Google-owned, Austin-based game studio and help us make absurd and highly polished VR for Everyone!
We offer an outstanding fully remote working environment focused on collaboration and personal growth, with a positive work/life balance and excellent benefits.
Owls in this position use a mix of technical and design skills to develop stable foundational systems which enable performant and feature-rich gameplay.
- Architect and develop systems that solve meaningful problems and contribute to a powerful, extensible, and reusable core framework
- Design systems and tools that assist in empowering the team to make a better game
- Perform research into existing features and systems, and build deep understanding of how they work together
- Work closely with designers, producers, engineers, and artists to ensure systems are meeting our needs, and to determine cross-discipline requirements
- Outstanding C# programming skills, and ability to grasp complex systems.
- Deep understanding of gamefeel, affordances, and feedback
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Proactive about making things happen.
- A passion for games and game development.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 3 years professional game programming experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience with Unity
- Experience with low level graphics and console APIs.
- Experience with low level performance optimizations.
- Experience creating and optimizing shaders.
- Experience working on a multiplatform game.
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” – and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a growing team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 15 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)
Incluzion acts as your personal reference for your application, so let us know when you apply!
- Begin your application by clicking the Apply button below, and be sure to reference Incluzion as a source while applying.
- If you have not done so, add your resume to the Incluzion talent database to ensure you're connected with similar opportunities
- Spread the word about Incluzion!