Founded in 2001, Fire Engine RED is a privately owned marketing, data, technology, and consulting services company that serves the education market.
In 2011, Inc. Magazine named Fire Engine RED as one of the country’s Top Small Company Workplaces for our talented team, innovative company culture, and core values.
Fire Engine RED has five divisions: Fireworks: Recruitment & Admissions CRM, Software Products, Student Search, Data Services, and Enrollment, Data, & Financial Aid Consulting. We serve more than 300 education clients in the U.S. and abroad.
We are a virtual company without a physical headquarters. Everyone in our company works remotely and telecommutes. Our 80+ team members are located in 24 states, and five (5) countries.
As a Platform & Productivity Engineer, you are responsible for building, maintaining and improving functional systems that support our CRM product using cutting-edge technologies in a highly collaborative, Agile/Scrum environment. You will need to have strong experience with Amazon Web Services like API Gateway and Lambda as well as AWS infrastructure services like EC2.
This is a full-time, remote position reporting to the Software Engineering Manager.
Your responsibilities include:
- Helping build Innovation into an Agile center of excellence
- Communicating about task status and deliverables with team members via Jira
- Communicating frequently and clearly with other disciplines within the company; making smart decisions that require frequent collaboration
- Reviewing pull requests and giving constructive feedback
- Being an active participant in sprint planning, daily Scrums, sprint reviews, and retrospectives
- Maintain and improve build, deployment and configuration management tools and techniques
- Build and test automation tools for provisioning new environments
- Handle code deployments to production environments
- Improve infrastructure development and application development
- Follow all best practices and procedures as established by Fire Engine RED
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Background with Terraform and Ansible or similar infrastructure-as-code tools
- Performing risk analysis and mitigation strategies for new business requirements.
- Self-starter with the ability to work remotely in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience utilizing design patterns that take advantage of serverless technologies, dynamic scalability, fault-tolerance, high availability and cost optimizations
- Experience with Linux infrastructure, databases (MySQL), CI/CD tools, Redis, git, and the Atlassian tool suite
- Experience using and managing Docker containers in an enterprise setting
- Ability to translate business and functional requirements into development tasks
- Experience documenting technical specifications for software applications
- Passion for Agile methodologies like Scrum and/or Kanban
- Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills including ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Highly responsive and follows through on all delivery items
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Passion for clean and functional code, simple design, seamless technology and intuitive user experiences
- Team player who thinks like an owner and has a can-do attitude
- Comfortable speaking up when you have a concern or see an issue
- Treats team members with kindness and respect
- Lifelong learner who enjoys sharing knowledge and teaching others