Ruby is seeking a Senior Network Engineer to join our infrastructure team in improving, securing and maintaining our networks and network architecture. Our networks are critical in Rubys ability to deliver the WOW-worthy telephony and web chat receptionist service that we offer, and this role is key to helping Ruby maintain its promised quality and service levels. You will work with our Principal Network Engineer to help design and build our next generation network architecture and infrastructure, as well as problem-solve our existing network.
This is a key role that requires strong problem-solving skills with excellent cross-team collaboration and communication. In addition to working with the Principal Network Engineer to configure, install and monitor all our network devices and software, you will also resolve issues that have escalated past tier one and tier two support by troubleshooting layer 2 and layer 3 issues across our cloud, co-lo and local infrastructure. Ruby offers a 24×7 service, and you will be part of the team rotation for after-hours and weekend support and troubleshooting.
Rubys work environment has changed dramatically over the last year and the needs of our network have also changed. This role will collaborate with the Principal Network Engineer to design the next generation of our network infrastructure to support improved redundancy, reliability and scale. Additionally, this role will help take our monitoring and security of our network infrastructure to the next level. You will also be responsible for maintaining our network documentation for our DR and troubleshooting processes.
The Senior Network Engineer will report to the Chief Product & Technology Officer and is based in Portland, OR, but were open to fully remote for this position.
- Design and deploy functional networks (LAN, WLAN, WAN) that optimize for voice traffic quality and 24x7x365 availability
- Configure, troubleshoot and install software, servers, routers and other network devices
- Pro-actively monitor network performance and integrity
- Identify and resolve issues in Layer 2 and Layer 3 when service outages occur, during business hours and during after-hours support rotations
- Coordinate communication and collaborate with the product engineering teams and IT teams for maintenance and during outages
- Automate monitoring tasks for network health, security and maintenance
- Help with the selection and implementation of upgrades to our network infrastructure, from new firewalls, to expanded firewall rulesets to intrusion detection systems.
- Communicate with first tier support and users when needed to help troubleshoot and provide updates on issues.
- Create and maintain complete technical documentation of our network topology, our Disaster Recovery, security and troubleshooting processes.
- Suggest improvements to network performance, redundancy, capacity and scalability, particularly with respect to voice traffic quality.
Your Work DNA
- You have a bias towards action and make decisions after considering data and competing viewpoints.
- Youre curious and architectural in your thinking.
- You are proud of the work you do and want to work for a company that shares your values.
- Others would point to you as someone theyd love to work with, and your brilliant mind and innovative solutions inspire us all to do great work.
- You jump at the opportunity to pitch in and feed the greater good. No job is too big or small when you can lend a helping hand.
- You can extract big-picture ideas into workable processes and functional design.
- You can build infrastructure and processes from the ground up, as well as iterate legacy structures for continuous improvement.
- You love the fast-paced environment of a growth-stage company, and possess a scrappy, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
- Sharp troubleshooting skills and an engineers curiosity to logically breakdown systems until any issues are found and resolved.
- 6+ years industry-related experience as a Senior Network Engineer
- Solid understanding of and background in network operating systems, in particular Palo Alto, Cisco iOS, administration and architecture
- Experience with Palo Alto firewalls and VPNs
- Expert-level knowledge of IP and MAC layer protocols with the ability to install, troubleshoot, fix and improve L3 and L2 components.
- In-depth understanding of communication protocols (mainly TCP/IP) and routing protocols (e.g. VRRP, CARP, BGP, OSPF)
- Experience with VoIP SIP traffic, and optimization of networks for voice quality
- Familiarity with access control models and network security
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools, PRTG and SolarWinds a plus
- Working knowledge of Linux and Microsoft operating systems on both dedicated and virtual server platforms, VMware experience a plus
- Familiarity with AWS Networking tools (Direct Connect, Transit Gateway, Route 53, Elastic Load Balancing), and experience integrating with in-house network infrastructure a plus.
- Familiarity with Telephony PBX systems a plus (e.g. Interactive Intelligence, Genesys, etc)
- Professional certification (e.g. CCNP, CCDP) a plus
While were all remote currently due to COVID, work typically takes place in an open office setting. It requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and computer.
Ruby Receptionists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We support and encourage diversity!
Rubys are a happy bunch, and we thrive on making others happy. Any interaction, however brief, is a chance to make a positive impression for our customers, so we put care into each detail, from the words we choose to our tone of voice. We believe happiness has a ripple effect: treat people with kindness, and they’re likely to pass it on. And that approach builds loyalty and helps businesses grow. We’re about more than answering phones and chatswe’re about creating amazing experiences. We take every opportunity to anticipate needs and provide solutions before were asked. Nothing gives us a bigger kick than surprising and delighting our customers and their callers. We consider fine a four-letter word. Our goal is WOW! When our customers win, we win. We understand what an honor it is for customers to trust us to represent their business, and were privileged to create positive first impressions with their callers and website visitors. We enjoy sharing our culture with customers, as well as hearing about their successes. Our customers view us as part of their team, and we view them as part of ours. We’re in this together. We believe smart technology has the power to enrich personal connections, so improving and refining our service is a constant pursuit. If theres a way to better the lives of our customers and help their businesses prosper, we’ll find it. Our innovation is fueled by the ideas, dreams, and goals of everyone on our teamcustomers and coworkers alike. Change inspires us and learning is a lifelong passion. We adapt, transform, and are energized by what lies ahead for our customers and ourselves. Were risk-takers at heart, and each decision makes us wiser. In every choice we make, were driven by a desire to help our customers, callers, and coworkers flourish.